Wednesday, May 12, 2010

French Inspiration

This is extremely long overdue, but I have failed to mention in previous posts that along with jewelry, fashion, photography, and art I have a love for home decor. I have always wanted to work in the fashion industry, but I would be more than satisfied if I ever ended up working for Martha Stewart Living or House & Home. My mother is my inspiration when it comes to home decor and interior design, she has impeccable taste and has designed our entire home. I have been reading her monthly subscriptions to House & Home since I was a little girl and she has taught me so much over the years perfecting my eye for design. She is a stay-at-home mom, but now that my brothers and I have grown up I think she should become an independent interior designer. My mother and I have very similar taste when it comes to interior design, our favorite style being elegant Parisian/French style. However, she enjoys designing the basics like flooring, shelving, molding, etc., whereas I love the accessories like fabrics, chandeliers, furniture, etc.

I also really enjoy when reading through House & Home creating a "look"...a sort of lifestyle. For example, if I have been encountered with an image of a Parisian foyer with black and white tile, floor to ceiling French windows that open up, ridiculously thick molding, and crystal chandeliers I will automatically envision an entire lifestyle. I would be channeling the image of the foyer to an image of what an elegant Parisian woman would be wearing in this foyer, definitely a Chanel suit with lots of jewels. Her daughter would be gorgeous with an edgier Parisian style, but still refined and simplistic wearing mostly black. Therefore, I have posted some images of French styled rooms paired with editorial images of fashions that emulate this French look.











Photographs courtesy of House & Home and Dustjacket Attic

2 comments: